Sunday, February 10, 2013

Angry Bird Near Cake Wreck

Angry Bird Space Cake Topper

When the request came in from my nephew to do an Angry Birds Space cake for his birthday, I have to admit that I had to do a little googling. Once I found a picture of a bird I liked, polymer seemed like the way to go to create a light-weight 3-d topper.

I had read a magazine article where an artist created doll heads by shaping a polymer sheet around a styrofoam ball so I decided to give that a try. Let's just say my first attempt didn't work out, but check out the cool texture on the broken pieces. There has to be a something cool that I can do with the shards.

For attempt two, I pulled out a glass Christmas ornament and pulled out the hanger. I shaped the bird's head feathers around the protruded part. I even added a small hook in the back to he can use the topper as a Christmas ornament later.

So what went wrong? When I shared the story in our forum for the Polymer Clay Artists Guild of Etsy, one of the women asked if I added an "exhaust vent." I had meant to add a hole at the base, but in my excitement to get it in the oven, I totally forgot. At least I was only on the base layer when it happened.

Live and learn!

2 comments:

Ooh,a comment! How delightful.

recomendations

share icons