Saturday, June 19, 2010

Elderberry Flowers

I grew up "in the country" as we called it. My grandparents had a 60-acre farm and gave each of their children a couple of acres. My sister and I spent a lot of time wandering the fields and woods around the farm collecting wildflowers and all kinds of other goodies. One of our tasks was to bring back elderberries so my uncles could make wine.

I'm very family with the gorgeous dark purple berries, but I never noticed the flowers. We only took the elderberry path when we knew there would be berries. Flash forward several decades and I've finally seen an elderberry flower.

My friend and coworker, Debbie, signed up for a farm share where she gets vegetables and herbs from a local farm. In her farm share box was this delicate bouquet of elderberry flowers. Apparently you can use them to make medicinal tea, although I have read articles about toxicity in the plant so I am nervous about trying it. In any case, they are certainly medicine for the eyes and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh,a comment! How delightful.

recomendations

share icons