Monday, November 1, 2010

Month of Motivation


Juicy Grapes Wine Bottle Stopper
Monday Pick-Me-Up

 Today's pick-me-up is actually a whole month of pick-me-ups! Celebrate your creativity all month because November is  Art Every Day Month.

The challenge
Art Every Day Month is the brainchild of artist Leah Piken Kolidas. Here is how Leah describes the low-pressure challenge that marks the event.
“ I encourage people to make something every day, but my goal is to foster more creativity, so if you make just one piece of art per week or just one for the whole month, that's fine with me. The idea is to bring more creativity into your life, not to make you feel overwhelmed, pressured or guilt-stricken.”
But I'm not an artist!
She defines art as anything creative, whether that be painting, drawing, knitting, sewing, cooking, decorating, writing, photography, clay, jewelry-making or whatever.


Keeping winter depression at bay
November ushers in the beginning of winter depression for me. Our days are shorter, the temperature is falling, and snow could be here anytime. I stumbled upon this challenge last year, and I almost dismissed it because I am already so overwhelmed this time of year.

Something in me said, "Do it. What would it hurt?" So I decided to use the recipe scrapbook that I wanted to make my mom for Christmas as my project. It turned out beautifully. Mom cried when she opened it.
 
Unexpected bonus
Many of the participants share their projects on their blogs or through Flickr accounts. I started Creative Sprinkle as a place to share my progress. Many of my first followers were AEDM participants, and I met some great online friends.

Not only did this challenge help me finish the scrapbook,  it gave me a creative outlet in the form of my blog which carried me through a record-breaking Pennsylvania winter. The 2009 challenge was so rewarding, I can't wait to see what 2010 brings.

Kicking it off
I don't have big project planned this year. I'm trying to work on more spontaneous creativity. Those who know me know what a big challenge that is for me. So to kick things off I'm sharing a new wine stopper.


I have another one with Dionysus on it in the Polymer Clay Artists Guild of Etsy Monthly Challenge. I'll share more about this on Wednesday, but if you want a sneak peak, voting in the November "Seasonal Themes"  is open. Vote for your favorites and you can win an one-of-a kind polymer clay creation from one of these very talented artists.

12 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing what your spontaneous November art becomes... thanks for kicking AEDM off with a comment on my blog... I look forward to knowing you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great start to AEDM! Looking forward to what you create!
    I too am working on scrapbooks but for my chilren about their gran. Thanks for the idea to work on them this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great to meet you! i'm approaching it the same way, all spontaneous creative activities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. November has typically been a tough time of year for me too. But AEDM always seems to help me kick it off to a more positive start.

    Love your bottle stopper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I voted for your Dionysus wine stopper--love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie
    I agree. Blogs are great to share creative activities with a community of like minded people.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for visiting! I've had fun exploring your blogs today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog quote " a relaxed mind is a creative mind" Found you through AEDM, thanks for sharing your creations, I look forward to following your November (in a non-stalker way of course!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bottle stopper is great, and I agree with the blues in November..AEDM will be a great way for me to see if creativity will keep the blues at bay, I have an idea it will.. thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your quote and the bottle stopper. I am taking it one day at a time and look forward to seeing what surprises will transpire. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to love getting to know your work!! FYI for the winter, try 5,000 iu of vitamin D3. I did, since I struggle with SADD. This year I upped it to 10,000. Feeling good again.

    ReplyDelete

Ooh,a comment! How delightful.

recomendations

share icons