Sunday, May 1, 2011

Hummingbird Pin: Modelling Mother Nature

Hummingbird Brooch/Pin


Capturing the essence of a bird that is constantly in motion is not an easy thing, but as with all things in life practice brings one closer to perfection.

I sculpted this hummingbird brooch using several colors of polymer blended over a hand-formed pre-baked polymer base structure. Wire inside the beak keeps it strong. I added a little extra dimension to the color with alcohol inks. The piece is my entry in the May PCAGOE Challenge: Flora & Fauna.

This is my second attempt at creating a hummingbird. I had a special request about a year ago to create several pieces for an art quilt: a hummingbird, a butterfly, and some lady bugs. I was really happy with how they turned out, but this second attempt is getting closer to the real thing. I'd like to try a third version combining some of the best traits of the first and second versions. It is a great example of how it can be beneficial to explore an artistic theme for a while rather than flitting off to the next new thing.

Art Quilt Decorative Pieces

Undersculpture

1 comment:

Ooh,a comment! How delightful.

recomendations

share icons