Friday, April 27, 2012

In the Studio-Waiting for Alice

The beginning of the project.


My latest project for the Polymer Clay Artists Guild of Etsy challenge took effort with a capital "E." While you'll have to wait until I unveil the final piece when voting opens May 1, I thought you might like to see the building blocks of my latest entry.

Half-way to done.

The challenge theme for May is "Artist Inspired." Of course Lewis Carroll and Tim Burton rate high on my inspiration list for this piece, but the initial seed of inspiration came from fellow PCAGOE member Susan O'Neill of 11BOLDstreet.etsy.com.

Sue published a great tutorial in The Polymer Arts magazine on "Chopped Translucent." I started experimenting with the technique on jewelry which was loads of fun. But soon the "ah-ha" moment hit and I started picturing this cool stone courtyard pattern "ala" Alice in Wonderland. 

I mixed some extruder "grass" tiles with the faux stone then added in a hand-sculpted elements. There is lots more to this sculpture--including Alice! So stop back May 1 for a full view.

See what other guild members are up to at PCAGOE.com.

2 comments:

  1. Marie, you're amazing. I can't wait to see the rest.. the White Rabbit is beyond fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Ooh,a comment! How delightful.

recomendations

share icons