Thursday, August 19, 2010

Do as I say, not as I do

The universe has a funny sense of timing.

Monday, a guest post that I wrote titled, "A Relaxed Mind," appeared on the Handmade Business Blog. In it I talked about why a relaxed mind is a creative mind and gave some tips for re-energizing a tired mind. Yay for me, right?

That same day, I sat in my director's office and uttered three of the hardest words for me to say; "I need help."

Our creative department is a high stress area where everything focuses around tight deadlines. That in itself is nothing new, and usually I work extremely well under pressure. What is new, is the fact that for the last year,  we have been undergoing a major organization-wide reset process. So for a year our team has been living with the stress of the unknown and trying to regain some sense of normal. On top of that, a very talented project manager on my team left last week, so I have some new duties on my plate.

I told myself things were okay, but the way I treated my body and mind told the real story. Bad food, lack of sleep, worrying about all of the uncontrollable variables, I created a kingdom for stress to reign. And Monday, the stress that I tried to bury down deep inside of me began to mount its attempt to overthrow my sanity.


I had ignored own advice and piled more and more onto my plate, confident that I could do it all. Why are those words, "I need help," so hard to say? I don't know. What I do know is that I feel so much better now that I've said them.

2 comments:

  1. Your awareness of the part you played in your own stress level is brilliant, and half the battle of getting rid of it! I, too, have trouble asking for help but find that when I do, it's not so much about asking for solutions as just SAYING I need the help that allows me to begin to own it and let it go. Well done, Marie, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Marie! I have such a hard time asking for help too. Awesome too that you "owned it". I think that is a huge help in finding a lasting solution (at least for me it seems). Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Ooh,a comment! How delightful.

recomendations

share icons