Monday, August 23, 2010

Rock Solid Inspiration

Inspiration Shrine by Stacy (Pandora's Compass)

 Little things, like rocks and a couple of Sharpie markers, can make a big difference.
We had a really depressing winter in my office a couple years ago; too much work, not enough sun, and we were struggling with a coworker’s serious illness. People were sad, rude, and NOT optimistic.

One of our designers, Stacy, decided that we needed something to raise our spirits. She brought in a bowl with beautiful smooth rocks and asked people to write what they needed on them. She didn’t worry that people would laugh at her. She didn’t whine that there was no money in the budget for rocks. She didn’t worry that she wasn’t in charge. She just wanted to make things better.

Her small effort shifted everyone's mood. People bonded over the rocks. They wrote things like “no more rushes,” “melting snow,” “respect,” and “hugs.” Even people who weren’t “touchy feely” participated.

Some people put their rocks back in the community bowl; others took them away for personal inspiration. I have one on my desk right now. What little thing made a big difference in your day?

Submit your Monday Pick Me Up story. 
E-mail me at youngmarie33@yahoo.com with "Monday Pick Me Up" in the subject line. Or add your photo and description to the Creative Sprinkle Flickr Group.

4 comments:

  1. Aw! Thanks Marie! I didn't even know you took that photo.
    For me, having amazing friends at work to share and dream with is the greatest gift. That makes a real difference in my day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea. We're going to have a party soon and I think I'll incorporate something similar. We have loads of rocks around the house (I'm a fan, because they symbolize security and strength to me). I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good idea. Glad I read this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea. Love it. Makes a wonderful gift to myself :-)

    ReplyDelete

Ooh,a comment! How delightful.

recomendations

share icons